Thursday 21 Sep 2017

Print
PDF
 

PLJEVLJA

The city Pljevlja is situated in the valley of the Cehotina river, on ten kilometers of the border with Serbia. The economy in this part of Montenegro is been based mining and wood construction. Pljevlja is a city with a rich archaeological past. This region was already populated 20,000 years ago. Several artifacts, jewelry and utility objects from the bronze period and the iron period were retrieved over here.

Municipum S
Some years ago, in Komine, on 3 km of the centre of Pljevlja, a Roman city was discovered. Already 1300 valuable objects have been dug up. But still the largest part of the Roman city Municipum S has to be uncovered by archaeologists. Together with the Roman city Duklja, close to Podgorica, is this the most interesting archaeological site in Montenegro

Gazi Husein-Pasha Mosque
During the middle ages Pljevlja was situated on the caravan route from Dubrovnik to Skopje. Because of this, a regional trade centre developed itself rapidly with richly decorated patricians houses. During the history the city was several times struck by fire so that almost nothing has remained from this period. The most interesting buildings from this period are the clock tower and the Gazi Husein-Pasha mosque from the 16th century. Especially the minaret of the mosque is impressive. The minaret is no less than 42 meters high. It was the highest in former Yugoslavia.

The convent of the holy trinity
Also Christianity left its footsteps in the region. On a hill, North of the city lays the convent of the holy trinity. The orthodox convent belongs to the best preserved medieval convents of the country. The interior is richly decorated with golden chandeliers, icons and beautiful fresco’s.













 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Main Menu

Car Rental

Property Search